5 facts you didn’t know about the song “You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC/DC
Updated: Feb 15
When Bon Scott (the original lead singer for AC/DC) died in February 1980, AC/DC not only lost one of the best front men in Rock n Roll, a terrific singer, they also lost their lyricist. Finding a new lead for the band was difficult for Angus and Malcolm Young as neither of them were any good are writing lyrics. They were very lucky to find Brian Johnston, a great rock singer who could also write lyrics.
You Shook Me All Night Long is AC/DC’s most popular song. The first song released on the Back in Black album in 1980, however it only reached 35 on the Billboard Hot 100. Although not terrible for a hard rock/heavy metal song, most people, including us, were surprised it didn’t chart much higher based on its iconic status and popularity. However, Back In Black is one of the top 10 best selling albums of all time.
1. This was the first song Brian Johnston wrote the lyrics for as a member of AC/DC. Angus told him we a song the title is called, You Shook Me All Night Long. Brian felt a lot of pressure and wanted to impress both Angus and Malcolm and was able to write the lyrics in one evening.
2. Brian took the inspiration for the lyrics from cars. Brian is a huge car buff. The lyrics “She was a fast machine; she kept her motor clean” is like a car. Brian said “women and cars are very much alike, they go fast, let you down, but make you happy when a new model comes out. We are very much aware that AC/DC is not known for the deep meaningful lyrics.
3. We can’t verify this one, but feel there may some truth to it, You Shook Me All Night Long is the most played song in strip clubs in North America. We urge you to do your own research.
4. This is one of the most covered songs in popular music history and has been covered by none other than Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and a bluegrass band called Hayseed Dixie (to each their own, but we are NOT big fans of the that version).
5. Brian Johnston says this is his favourite AC/DC song and thinks it’s one of the best Rock N Roll songs ever written/recorded. Sure, he is a little biased, but based on the reaction we get when we play this song at events, he may be right.
6. Bonus fact - There was an original pressing of the single that was a mistake. The song pressed was "Shake A Leg" with the title "You Shook Me All Night Long". At the time many people returned the single back to the record store, however it is now considered a collectors item.
For more facts about "You Shook Me All Night" go HERE
Also Check out:
5 Facts You Didn't Know About :"Don't Stop Believing" by Journey
5 Facts You Didn't Know About :"Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits
5 Facts You Didn't Know About: "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins
5 Facts You Didn't Know About: "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac
For more visit our BLOG
Starlight DJ Services is a mobile DJ and Entertainment company based in Dorchester, Ontario and services all of South Western Ontario.
Contact us for your free personalized quote HERE
Weddings | School Dances | Corporate Events | Private Parties
Thames Valley District School Board Approved Vendor